Shrimp with Mallow Leaves (Mulukhiyah)
- Strip the mallow leaves from the stalks. Rinse well and pat dry. Place on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Finely chop the leaves.
- If frozen chopped mallow is used, set aside ahead of time to thaw at room temperature.
- Heat oil in a saucepan, add half of minced garlic & coriander, stir for 2 minutes, then add shrimp and cook for 7 minutes or until done.
- Add chicken stock in a pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add chopped mallow leaves and the shrimp mixture and reduce the heat, stirring frequently until simmer then remove from heat.
- Melt butter in a pan over medium-high heat and add the rest of garlic and coriander mixture stirring until golden brown.
- Add the garlic mixture to the mallow while hot. Immediately cover the saucepan to infuse the stew with the garlic and coriander flavors for about 2 minutes then remove the cover.
- Serve hot with white rice
1/2 kilo mallow leaves
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 kilo medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoon butter
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon coriander, ground