Ground Beef Pie (Majmara)
For the dough
- Mix dry ingredients (flour, black seeds, salt, chili flakes, sugar and yeast) using an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Add butter, milk and water gradually and knead till the dough becomes smooth and soft.
- Place dough in oiled bowl and let rise for about half an hour.
- Leave about 1/4 the dough quantity aside to be used for covering the pie later.
- Roll the rest of the dough on a lightly flour dusted surface to a circular shaped (1 cm thickness).
- Grease round oven dish with oil, sprinkle some flour (get rid of excess flour).
- Place the dough in the prepared pan, make sure it covers the bottom and sides (Like a tart).
- Roll the rest of the dough on a lightly flour dusted surface to a circular shaped, cut into strips.
- Remove dough stripes and keep aside.
- Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- Beat eggs in a bowl; combine with parsley, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Add minced meat and stir till combined.
- Fill the oven dish with the mixture; distribute dough strips randomly on top so it covers the filling.
- Bake until golden brown for about 40 minutes.
- Let cool, divide into triangular slices and serve warm.
For the dough
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon black seeds
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon yeast
4 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup+2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon oil, for brushing
1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
1/2 cup coriander, finely chopped
1/2 cup spring onions, chopped
1/2 kilo minced meat, cooked