Stuffed grape leaves with ground beef
- Rinse grape leaves and drain.
- Wash rice, rinse and drain, add onion, herbs, tomato, 1 spoon of tomato paste and ground beef.
- Season mixture with salt, pepper and other spices, add 2 spoons of oil and mix.
- Lay grape leaf flat on a plate (shiny side down).
- Place about one to two teaspoon of the rice mixture near bottom of the leaf (stem end), the amount of stuffing will depend on the size of the leaves.
- Press stuffing into a small sausage-like shape.
- Fold the sides of the leaf over the filling toward the center, and then roll up firmly but not too tight into a cylinder shape.
- Line bottom with the sliced onion and potato, Layer rolled leaves in the pot in circular way.
- Mix 2 cups of stock with lemon juice, oil and remaining tomato paste, season with salt and pepper.
- Add the liquid mixture to the pot; place a heatproof plate on top.
- Cook over medium high heat until boiling, cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 35 to 45 minutes or until leaves are tender.
- Let cool before serving.
1 Jar grape leaves
2 cup medium grain rice (Egyptian rice)
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup parsley leaves, chopped
1/4 cup dill, chopped
2 large tomatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 kilo ground beef, cooked with onions
Salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili pepper(optional)
1 teaspoon ground spices (cumin,mint,nutmeg)
4 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups hot chicken stock
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 onions, sliced
2 potatoes, sliced